Since its founding, Fujifilm has consistently anticipated the future, amassed a wide range of technologies, and provided innovative products and services to contribute to society and continue to grow as a company. A key to the growth is the advanced and various technologies cultivated through our photographic film business. Fujifilm promoted a growth strategy by identifying domains with a competitive advantage and expected growth, and centering on a variety of technologies such as optics, chemicals and electronics, which are needed to develop and produce photo-related products. Here, we will explain the history of innovation in the Fujifilm Group.
Domestic production of film and establishment of sales network in Japan
- Established in 1934. Launched domestically made positive film for motion pictures
- Diversified business operations into the medical, graphic systems and related fields by sales of X-ray and graphic arts film
- Forged a robust position as a manufacturer of comprehensive photosensitive materials
- Expanded into the lens and optical fields
Launched general-use color negative film and color paper
Launched general-use color negative film and color paper in response to growing demand of printing color photo more easily. The technologies honed through research, development, and production of photographic film now underpin our business operations.
Incombustible TAC film developed as a base for photographic film went on sale as FUJITAC. We then leveraged our proprietary technology to make numerous improvements before launching FUJITAC as a protective film for polarizers for LCD panels in the 1970s. We are currently expanding business domains by developing applications of this technology to materials for touch panels and OLED displays.
Expansion of Business / Improvement of Technologies
- Commenced development of a global network by establishing local overseas subsidiaries and offices
- Established Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd., as a joint venture with Rank Xerox Ltd. in the United Kingdom
- Pioneered successful research, development, and commercialization of color negative films
Launched Japan’s first plain-paper copy machines
We established Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd., as a joint venture with Rank Xerox Ltd. in the United Kingdom, and started selling Japan’s first plain copy machine. With ground-breaking xerography technology, we revolutionized Japan’s office environment.
Ever since, we have been contributing to productivity gains at offices and other workplaces as well as labor saving and capacity bolstering measures for customers through development and sales of digital color multifunction devices and solutions.
Developed Fujicolor F-II 400, world’s first highspeed color negative film
Fujifilm was the first in the world to successfully develop film with a sensitivity of ASA 400. The product sent shockwaves around the world and made people take notice of Fujifilm’s technological capabilities.
It allowed anyone to take beautiful photos without fear of failure or the need for a flash either indoors or outdoors.
Progress of Digitization / Acceleration of Globalization
- Accelerated globalization by organizing overseas production bases and promoting overseas sales
- Pioneered efforts to digitize the photography, medical, and graphic systems fields
- Introduced a host of innovative products, including the FCR and digital still cameras
Launched FCR, world’s-first digital x-ray diagnostic imaging system
Our Fuji Computed Radiography (FCR) system was the first in the world to digitalize x-ray imaging and for more than 30 years has held the top market share. Currently, we are providing more compact systems characterized by low-dose radioation and high-quality images.
Launched QuickSnap, world’s first one-time-use recyclable camera
The introduction of the QuickSnap made it easy for anyone to take beautiful photos and contributed to growth in photo demand.
Developed world’s first fully digital still camera
We developed the FUJIX DS-1P, the world’s first fully digital still camera.
As a manufacturer of photographic film, Fujifilm anticipated the rise of a future digital era and moved quickly to engage in R&D.
Second Foundation: Creation and Enhancement of a Strong Business Portfolio
- Converted Fuji Xerox to a consolidated subsidiary
- Transformed business structure in response to rapid digitization
- Established FUJIFILM Advanced Research Laboratories
- Transitioned to a holding company structure by establishing FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
- Formulated new Corporate Slogan “Value from Innovation” to mark 80th anniversary
The first in Japan to acquire marketing approval for JACE®, autologous cultured epidemis, as a egenerative medicine product
JACE® was developed by Japan Tissue Engineering Co., Ltd., which was made a consolidated subsidiary in 2014. By expanding indications for autologous cultured epidermis and bringing it into greater use, we continue to help enhance quality of life for people and promote the industrialization of regenerative medicine.
Successfully commercialized world’s first high-capacity tapes using next-generation barium ferrite (BaFe) magnetic particles
Use of BaFe dramatically increases data storage capacity and brings high-quality products at competitive prices.
Launched SonoSite iViz, tablet-based ultrasound image diagnostic device
We launched the tablet-based ultrasound image diagnostic device that has outstanding portability with its compact and lightweight body, and high-resolution image quality. We continue to accurately ascertain the needs of the POC* market and provide support to medical sites.
*Point-of-care. Entails physicians conducting examinations on site, such as in emergency rooms, operating rooms or at home, and deciding on and carrying out a course of medical treatment.
Aiming for a Further Breakthrough
- Formulated new CSR plan “Sustainable Value Plan 2030” with objectives for 2030 and new medium-term management plan “VISION2019”
- Under “VISION2019”, Fujifilm will work to drive strong growth in the healthcare field as a core business while bolstering the document business
Announced REiLI, AI technology brand
By applying image processing technology Fujifilm has cultivated for over 70 years, we are developing and expanding our AI technology under the brand name of REiLI. By harnessing AI technology, we aim to support physicians and improve workflow in the area of diagnostic imaging.
Launched FUJIFILM GFX100, equipped with a large format sensor with world’s highest 102 million pixels
The flagship model of the GFX series features an image sensor that is 1.7 times larger than a full-frame sensor. Combined with Fujifilm’s unique color reproduction technology cultivated through years of research and development of photographic film, this ground-breaking mirrorless digital camera realizes world-leading image quality and comes with fast, accurate autofocus, in-body image stabilization, and 4K video recording.